Montag, Februar 13, 2006

Aceh Journal: Valentine

LAGU RINDU -Kerispatih-

Bintang malam katakan padanya (Night stars please tell her)
Aku ingin melukis sinarmu di hatinya (I want to paint your light in her heart)
Embun pagi katakan padanya (Morning mist please tell her)
Biar kudekap erat waktu dingin membelenggunya (let me hold her tight when the cold shackled her)

Tahukah engkau wahai langit (do you know, o, sky?)
Kuingin bertemu membelai wajahnya (I want to meet and caress her)
Kupasang hiasan angkasa yang terindah (I'm setting the most beautiful sky ornaments)
hanya untuk dirinya (only for her)

Lagu rindu ini kuciptakan (I compose this song of longing)
hanya untuk bidadari hatiku tercinta (only for the beloved princess of my heart)
Walau hanya nada sederhana (although only in simple notes)
Ijinkan kuungkap segala rasa dan kerinduan (let me express all this feeling and longing)

find and download the song in: hye.undergroundcandy.org



Valentine .. one of the most celebrated day in the world, has no meaning here. No festival, no heart decorations or whatsoever in Banda Aceh. Apparently Islam doesn't believe in Valentine.
hmm ... that's why nobody sold any rose last year ... (yea .. this is my 2nd valentine in Aceh) Luckily the church is going to have something to celebrate it, otherwise I'll get crazy for not being able to celebrate holidays like Chinese new year and Valentine. Well, Valentine's not really a holiday, but still ... I'd like to at least enjoy the fun of it. I hope you guys out there are enjoying Valentine ... :)

Last week I met a kinda creepy guy. Creepy in the sense that he has the courage to tell me what he thinks about me and what he thinks God wanted me to know in our first meeting. It was an evening when I feel bored and then met some friends. Later I was invited to come to their house, and that's when I met him. at first it was kinda creepy, but then I thought that this is exactly the kind of thing that gives me encourgement. God really speaks in an awesome way, a way that can be strange for us. Especially when you feel bored or encounter problems. Last Friday the HR officer called me and meant to give me another warning. This time I didn't take the warning because I thought it was very silly. She told me that my signature in the email is taken a an attempt to spread the gospel. I then talked to some friends about this, and I did not get the same impression as the HR had. But anyway, that was not a big deal. I agreed to erase the signature, and she took the warning back.

Sometimes I think I've had enough with all this. A year has passed and I see these people getting worse instead of getting better. Worse in a sense that they feel much more comfortable with the NGOs here and all the benefits they van get from NGOs, and they really are trying hard to maximize that advantage. Writing fake proposals and spreading it to NGOs, taking tsunami victims grant money, etc. etc. There were times when I thought I would just end my being here and go back home, but then I tried to remember why I came here at the first place, and I'm trying so hard not to give up.

Nothing much is happening in Aceh lately. Construction is on the way, and the same goes to every other programs. One thing I wanna share this time is about school and its teachers. These few weeks I got the chance to visit some schools. I found that in some of the schools in remote villages, the teachers are not being paid to do what they're doing there. The government won't even admit them. Sad day! how they stil have to wait several months to get one month salary, and how they still have to wait a year before the government finally admit them as a service teacher (one of the requirement to apply for the government employee).
Just think about them, and how much they've given you. I know there might be some teachers who have bad personality, but if you just think of how they've educated you ...
I was touched when those young teachers said they have to hike cars to get to the school and sometimes have to sleepover in one of the villagers' house because thay it's too late for them to go back home.
Let's think of someone dear this valentine. Not only the ones close to your heart, but also ones who played a great role in your life ... and pray for them.

Love is all around, whether you know it or not! :)
God bless you

hye
Feb. 13, 2006

*needprayersupport*

www.flickr.com/photos/hye